We are committed to promoting cultural diversity, ethnic pride, unity, and educational and socioeconomic empowerment among Filipino Americans in the Pacific Northwest.
A brief history
On November 15, 1935, delegates from various regional, civic, religious and fraternal organizations formed the “Philippine Commonwealth Council of Seattle (PCCS)” with Pio de Cano as president and Rudy Santos as vice president. Over the next 10 years the PCCS became the center of activity in the city’s Filipino community. On July 4, 1946, the PCCS was renamed “Filipino Community of Seattle and Vicinity”.
In 1952, due to the influx of the third wave of Filipino immigrants entering Seattle, the word “Vicinity” was dropped and the new name became “Filipino Community of Seattle, Incorporated”.
During the administration of Major (Ret.) Urbano Quijance, a bowling alley building located along Empire Way South was purchased and renovated to serve as the Filipino Community Center (FCC). It was paid in full on November 16, 1973, with the continuous support of dedicated members and with Silvestre Tangalan, Sr. at the helm. A symbolic ceremony – the burning of the mortgage documents on February 2, 1974 – became a historic monument of Filipino solidarity.
The Filipino Community Center has been the hub of Filipino American multifarious activities. Every FCS president has worked to preserve this precious legacy.
Through the years, the Filipino Community of Seattle has changed its image from a strictly social organization to a service organization.
You are invited to visit the Filipino Community Center and learn about the new programs and services for seniors, youth, and families. Welcome everyone.